My first Japanese hand-bound book


Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! My first ever handmade book! I have always wanted to make one except that I didn't know how to do it. But after doing some research about it online, I found some tutorials that was easy for me to follow and understand. I gotta say thanks to all those teachers I found on Youtube and Pinterest that shared their tutorials on making handmade books. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to make this book on my own. 

There are so many different types of handmade books for me to try out but since I'm a beginner, I wanted to try out something simple. Since I didn't have the proper tools and materials to make a handmade book, I decided to try making the Japanese hand-bound book because it's a lot easier than the rest and I could use my ribbons to bind the papers together. I have tons of ribbons available so this type of book is the best for me to try out for now. I didn't even have a proper board to use to make the cover for the book. I had only a mounting board available so I just used that and wrapped it with a wrapping paper I got from Wholeport. I distress the cover with a sweet coloured distress ink at all four corners and decorated it with some quilled shapes of flowers and leaves. Very simple. 

I was just too excited to get it done, I didn't bother to make it too fancy. I just wanted to get it done! LOL! It's a great feeling once you know how to do it and seeing it done for the first time. It's an indescribable feeling. I'm so happy I managed to do this before the year ends. It's one of the things I wanted to do this year and I did it! Yay!!!

Not sure if I will have the time to make another one, because I have a very busy schedule till end of this year.....but I gotta say that it is very interesting and fun to make a handmade book and I never knew that it would be something that we can all do ourselves at home. It's really nice to have a pretty handmade book for us to give as gifts to loved ones or for us to use ourselves. For those who have never tried it before, do give it a try! It's so worth it!!! ;)


13 comments:

Unknown said...

cantik !! walaupon simple tp sweet jerk tgk ..

Shylaashree said...

it is so beautiful noor

ellyscard creatief said...

Beautiful created book.Love the flowers.
Gr Elly

a paper {life} said...

Way to go Lin. Your excitement has reached me all the way in Canada. I've always wanted to make a hand-bound book too and now you have inspired me. I get a lot of requests for guest books and the ones out there are to buy and cover yourself are expensive so I'll just have to make my own. I'm with you...I like the Japanese version and having tonnes of ribbon as well it would work for me. Which tutorials did you like the best?

Thanks so much for the inspiration to jump in.
Cheryl

a paper {life} said...

... and I forgot to say yours turned out fantastic. I love the colours you used and the distressing with the ink. And the white paper is so white the contrast is delicious.

thanks again

Crafty Delight said...

Turned out really well. Great job!

kunda said...

WoW!WOW!!WOW!!!!
this is so awesome ...lovely design..loved the way u made the flower...I hve seen ur tute n made them too
lovely colours

rozwillster@gmail.com said...

So beautiful...love the ribbon and the pearls...well done!!

HeNRieTTa JoSe said...

Its so cute....u r so creative kak lin...and every single thing u do..they come out great,..u r so talented...cant wait for ur next craft....u really inspire me a lot...

Nisa Greennnpanda said...

it looks really nice, lin... :3

Maria Rose said...

Beautiful :)

Grace to You said...

Lin, this is gorgeous! I've always wanted to learn to make books...I think I'm going to put it on my list of things to do next year! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

cikserai said...

cantik..kak lin guna kertas berape gsm?

Featured Post

How to make two tone tear drop shape quilling flowers

We are coming close to mid February and I'm blogging about something that I did last January! LOL! It's been a month sin...